Multiplayer and VR and demolition! What isn't to like?
Mystical destruction is inbound with PlayStation VR (PSVR) tear-it-up Smash Hit Plunder coming to North American retailers on Jan. 15, 2018. From developer Triangular Pixels and publisher Perp Games, Smash Hit Plunder is the first co-operative narrative campaign adventure game for PSVR and offers a truly physical VR experience, as players can throw, shake, eat, burn and generally annihilate everything in sight.
Set in the medieval and ghost-infested Castle Carvasso and its sprawling surroundings, Smash Hit Plunder players step into the boots of a young mage recently returned from magic school. While it initially seems the mage just inherited the dwelling of their dreams, the castle is magically locked up by a ghostly debt collector and it’s up to the player to wreak havoc throughout the grounds to find enough hidden treasure to pay off the debt and win back their home.
Players can choose from three fast-paced game modes, including Treasure Hunt, Scavenger Hunt and Free Play – and they can bring friends along for the adventure, using an alternate view of the world specially designed for the TV screen while playing with DualShock 4 controllers. Players can rampage through the castle in a manic versus mode, pitting up to three DualShock players against the VR mage in Poltergeist Panic or Jewel Duel.
“The couch co-op experience is an important aspect of gaming for many people, and Smash Hit Plunder really succeeds in translating that for the VR medium,” says Mickey Torode, director of publishing at Perp Games. “The game can be a cathartic single-player campaign, but also offers a high-energy multiplayer arena to team up with or challenge friends.”
Smash Hit Plunder features:
- Full Campaign – Guided by a friendly ghost grandma, players traverse as a mage through Castle Carvasso and its surroundings, shattering and crushing everything in sight to collect enough treasure to pay off the family’s debt collector;
- Three Campaign Game Modes – Players can race against the clock in Treasure Hunt to gather as much as possible within the time limit, comb the grounds for a specific piece of loot in Scavenger Hunt, or explore the castle at their own pace in Free Play;
- Two-Person Multiplayer – Each game mode supports co-operative local multiplayer, so the VR mage can venture through the castle and face its ghostly inhabitants with a friend at their side;
- Two, up to Four-Player Versus Modes – Party games take on a new look in VR, as up to three DualShock players can challenge the VR Mage in special dungeons with Poltergeist Panic or Jewel Duel modes;
- Online Leaderboards – Crushing high scores is about as fun as smashing everything in sight, and players can fight for a place on the dynamic leaderboards, as well as test their mettle in an adaptive high score trial system that tailors itself to the player’s own style and skill level.
Smash Hit Plunder will be available for PlayStation VR for $29.99 at North American retailers on Jan. 15, 2018. The game has support for French, Spanish and English languages, and is rated E10+ by the ESRB.